Sunday 11 January 2009

Herb and Stilton Butter for a Pork Chop


I hate Stilton. This is one of the risks of slavishly following a book. Sooner or later, you'll have to eat something like tripe....or raw oysters...or STILTON. Have I mentioned I hate Stilton? Well, I decided to bite the bullet (and the stinky cheese). You mix equal quantities of butter and Stilton (100g of each) with a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, some finely chopped thyme and lots of black pepper. The idea is to melt big globs of it over pork chops, but frankly, I'd rather chew my own toes off, which probably wouldn't taste dissimilar to Stilton. Instead, we chargrilled the chops and added some of the Stilton butter into crisply baked potatoes. You know what? It was really rather nice. The other flavours softened and mitigated the overtly blue cheesiness. Of course, we used considerably less of the butter than Nigel recommended (50g of butter and cheese per person seemed artery-cloggingly excessive). Will use the rest in his Stilton, Potato and Onion pie later in the week

No comments:

Post a Comment