Saturday 17 January 2009

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry


Another nice dish for a blustery night. I ignored Nigel's frankly pretentious admonishment to soak dried chickpeas in mineral water overnight - really! - and opened a can of organic ones instead, as I was halving the recipe. I also added a handful of spinach at the end with the coriander leaf which added a much-needed boost of green to the proceedings. I was surprised that Nigel hadn't included cumin in the spices (which otherwise included turmeric, ground coriander, mustard seeds, red chilli and cardamom) so I bunged a teaspoonful in as I think its flavour complements the earthiness of chickpeas and sweet potato.
Can't find the recipe online, but essentially, you saute an onion and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. Add the spices listed above by the teaspoon, with 4 cardamom pods, crushed open. Add 350ml of veg stock and half a tin of chopped tomatoes, and 400g in total of diced sweet potato and butternut squash, and a drained tin of chickpeas. Simmer for 20-25 mins until veg tender but not mushy, stir in chopped coriander. Add yoghurt if liked - we left it as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment