Saturday 23 October 2010

Kedgeree

Ah, Kedgeree....for me, this is true comfort food, a dish I grew up eating, and which always reminds me of my dear old Dad, who would probably have killed for a plate of it.  Over the years, I've made it many ways - pre-cooked rice with the other ingredients stirred in, with and without a creamy curry sauce, all delicious.  But now, I make it in one pan, by the absorption method, which is much simpler.  Now, some recipes I have seen omit any spices, and simply have a dish of cooked rice, smoked haddock, boiled egg and parsley - imagine that, no spices?!  Not right, not right at all.  Anyway, how I make it (for 2): boil a couple of good-sized eggs, and poach some reaaly good, undyed smoked haddock very gently in water to cover for about 5 minutes.  Drain, and cool, then flake into large juicy chunks.  Finely chop an onion, and gently cook in about 25g of butter until lightly golden and softened.  Stir in a level teaspoon each of turmeric and ground coriander, and half a teaspoon of garam masala powder.  I also added a little chopped green chilli, simply because I had some.  Now, measure in a jug 7floz of basmati rice, then tip into a seive and rinse.  Add to the buttery onions along with 14floz of hot water from the kettle.  Stir, cover, bring to the boil then turn right down and cook for 15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.  In the meantime, peel and chop the eggs, flake the fish and chop a good handful of parsley - for once, I think the curly parsley is best here.  When the time is up, stir the egg, fish and parsley through the rice with a fork, cover again and leave to sit for a couple of minutes, then eat.  Nom nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment