Sunday 3 October 2010

Appetizer Cocktail

Regular readers will know of my passion for Campari, but I also have a fondness for Dubonnet, which has a reputation for being naff though I don't know why.  It was originally developed for French Foreign Legionnaires to take quinine in North Africa in the 1840s, apparently. This is a delicious way to use it, whether or not you have malaria, being equal quantities of gin, Dubonnet and freshly squeezed orange juice, with a couple of dashes of Angostura Bitters.  Shake over ice and pour into a martini or rocks glass, garnished with a strip of orange peel.  Just right to accompany the Parmesan Biscuits.  Chin chin!

2 comments:

  1. Dubonnet doesn't come up too often it seems its one of those spirits which isn't getting enough attention especially in modern cocktails. It's a shame really because its delicious! I'm with you, no idea why it should have a bad reputation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for commenting. I like your site as well! Might get hubby some Xmas goodies from there. Keep drinking the Dubonnet, is what I say!

    ReplyDelete