Sunday 31 October 2010

Dorset Apple Traybake

A friend mentioned last week that she had made Dorset Apple Cake, and I thought it would be a great candidate for our lunchboxes this week.  There are as many recipes for this as there are cooks in Dorset and the debate rages as to whether there should be spices and dried fruit in or not.  I decided to retain the purity of the apple and a good buttery sponge, so followed a recipe on BBC Good Food, albeit it with some tweaks - I know, I just can't help myself.  So I used this recipe, but grated the zest of the lemon in too, I replaced the caster sugar with some soft brown sugar to give a wee bit of depth of flavour, and I also used eating apples (British Cox and Gala) instead of Bramleys as I thought they would keep their shape better.  Lovely simple recipe that took about 10 minutes to whip up in the KitchenAid.  The smell in the flat as it baked was fantastic too!

2 comments:

  1. would i be right in thinking you left your apples in quarters/chunks rather than slicing thinly? I have some frozen, mixed, peeled, quartered apples from my mum and dad's garden, but I'm not sure how well, post freeze, they'd slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biggish chunks rather than quarters. Do you know I've just re-read the recipe and missed the bit about slicing thinly? I think I prefer the chunks anyway. Quarters might make it more difficult to slice as a cake, but would make a great pud with lashings of custard......

    ReplyDelete