Monday 30 August 2010

Chicken and Sweetcorn Chowder

What to do with the leftover chicken from yesterday's roast? Well, with some fresh sweetcorn in the house, a chowder seemed obvious. I stripped the corn from two heads and sweated them briefly with a finely chopped leek and a good knob of butter. I then added a pint of veg stock, three finely diced small potatoes and a carrot. After 15 minutes of simmering, I spooned half the contents of the pan into a jug, blended it, then returned it to the pan with about 1/4 pint of milk, some chopped courgettes and the remaining chicken breast meat, shredded. I also put a spoon of 'lazy' red chilli in to give a teeny oomph to proceedings. After 5 minutes, it was all thick and ready to serve, with lots of parsley and a little crisp bacon on the top - entirely optional! You can make this veggie by leaving the chicken out. I still have the meat from a leg and thigh of the chicken and the carcase is simmering into a stock - I think a risotto is called for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment