Sunday 20 September 2009

Roast Duck with Pancetta and Potatoes [#157]


Nigel was on top form tonight with this recipe and the dessert that followed (see'English Apple Cake'). A lovely free-range duck from Waitrose, ccoked slowly with big chunks of potato, diced pancetta, onions, and scented with fresh bay leaves, thyme and - my addition - fresh sage. After a couple of hours, the potatoes were crisp with duck fat and infused with herbiness. The gravy was made with the pan juices and crusty bits, deglazed with Marsala. Just heavenly - succulent duck, crisp potatoes, and some sauteed courgettes, all accompanied by a marvellous Californian Pinot Noir from the Sonoma Coast, a sumptuous meal indeed. The left-over duck will be shredded and stir-fried tomorrow with spinach, mushrooms, red pepper and noodles, with a teriyaki glaze.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Lots of amazing cooking going on here. It makes me hungry reading it and seeing the yummy pictures. Sadly I can't cook. My family prefer it when I don't try . . . they've all learned to cook themselves. My husband says it's the only way he can have decent food to eat at home. I haven't been completely banished from the kitchen. I can make a decent cup of tea, and I pour a mean glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete