Thursday 13 January 2011

Carrot and Celeriac Soup

One of my favourite Delia recipes is her Carrot and Jeruslaem Artichoke Soup.  In the absence of the knobbly little roots (although they are due in the Riverford Seasons box tomorrow) I used up the remaining half of a celeriac from last week's delivery.  The resultant soup was delicate and delicious, and a wonderful colour.  I started the usual way by sweating a chopped onion in a little oil and butter, then adding around 500g each of peeled, chopped organic carrots and celeriac.  Allow to sweat together, covered, for about 15 minutes, then add 750ml of Marigold veg stock, simmer for 20 minutes until the veg is really soft, and blend.  I added lots of parsley and black pepper right at the end, and a little dollop of Greek Yoghurt.  Lovely, soothing soup.  Cheap as anything, too.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had celeriac in my life - dreadful, I know. What does it taste like, Maggie?

    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as its name implies, it has celery tones, but quite mild. It is a white, slightly starchy tuber, though, so a different texture. It is delicious! My favourite way to use it is in a mash with potatoes. Just use about 2:1 potato to celeriac ratio, cook in the same pot and mash as you would do potatoes - this is a good introduction to it. Do try it. It is an ugly brute and you will need to cut a surprising amount of the skin away, but it is cheap, full of fibre and good things.

    ReplyDelete