Tuesday 12 April 2011

Lentil and Pancetta Soup with Chard, Lemon and Mint

I am suffering from (another) very heavy cold at the moment, which has turned into a chest infection.  Even though it is bright and sunny, it is a bit chilly, and I need soup to cheer me up.  This Nigel Slater recipe fitted the bill perfectly.  Even though I can't taste a thing, it felt like it was doing me good, and it was a perfect way to use a big head of Swiss chard that was staring at me every time I opened the fridge.  In Nigel's recipe, he uses spinach, but in Tender, he suggests chard as an alternative.  Add the sliced stems first, and then the leaves a few minutes before serving.  Hubby says the mint and lemon at the end really lift the whole thing.  I'll have to take his word for it!  It isn't a very photogenic soup but it is good for you.  Veggies could leave out the bacon and use veg stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment