Tuesday 22 February 2011

Count Your Blessings for Lent

OK, I know this is a while off - Lent begins on 9 March this year, but I came across this brilliant idea from Christian Aid and I am going to follow it.  Now, I am not remotely religious, and Lent has too often been used by people around me as a shallow re-visit of New Year's resolutions - time to abstain from chocolate or alcohol, for instance.  It was supposed to be a time of reflection and this 'Count Your Blessings' approach forces you every day to re-evaluate your life and to compare it with others who are less fortunate than you.  The fact remains that, in the UK, the vast majority of people are OK - sure, it could be better, but we do still have health care, social housing, education, clean water, good food, the rule of law, freedom.  Millions don't.  So, instead of giving things up, I am going to count my blessings every day, and make a small financial contribution each day - less than the cost of a bought sandwich or Starbucks latte, following the guide from Christian Aid.  Check it out here. http://www.christianaid.org.uk/images/cyb-main-resource.pdf.  You can do the same and donate to your fave charity, it doesn't have to be Christian Aid.  OK, sermon over.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing that link, what a good idea for Lent.

    ReplyDelete