Monday 28 December 2009

A Startling Orange Sorbet #193]


Well, here we are, the final recipe in the Challenge - for this year, at least. This has been waiting since the April section of the Diaries, I don't know why! Anyway, it seemed like a good idea to make it for New Year's Eve, as an antidote to all the richness in our food at this time of year. I spotted a small variation on the book's recipe in Nigel's Guardian column - the addition of Campari. Now, anyone who knows me also knows of my abiding and incurable addiction to Campari. Usually, at this time of year, I make a Campari and Orange Jelly, so this is just meant to be! Tasting the unfrozen sorbet mixture of fresh orange juice, the juice from a pink grapefruit, a little sugar syrup and Campari, it is all I can do stop myself from adding ice and chuffing it back right now. But it is safely in the freezer (except, I shall probably do a 'Nigella' and sneak into the kitchen in my dressing gown in the middle of the night to pinch spoonfuls out of the container) and I will let you know how it works as a sorbet after the meal - how could it fail??! Tasting note: heaven, as I knew it would be. What a great one to end the challenge on - simple, elegant, foolproof, just right for the time of year - kind of sums up The Kitchen Diaries, really

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on reaching your final recipe! Such an inspiration. I'm looking forward to reading all about your next challenge in the comming weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete