Saturday 1 August 2009

Courgette and Lancashire Cheese Crumble [#131]

Well, well, what a surprise. This was totally delicious, and probably in my top 10 recipes from the book so far. As Nigel himself admits, this sounds like some worthy dish from a 1970s vegetarian restaurant. It is, in fact, savoury, herby and relatively light, the 'crumble' element being breadcrumbs, walnuts, a little Lancashire cheese and fresh rosemary. The base is onion and potato, with courgette, more crumbly lactic Lancashire and rosemary. It all bakes into a crisp yet moist dish that was just superb. For all you gardeners out there facing a glut of courgettes, do try this, you really won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this - any idea if it would work with Cheddar so I can avoid shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda - I see no reason why it wouldn't, although if it is very strong cheddar, I would be tempted to reduce the quantity a little in case it dominated too much. But it was a very nice veggie supper indeed! And I have just made another breadcrumb crumble of Nigel's this time a sweet version with plums. I must say, I prefer them to flour-based crumbles as they are much lighter and crisper. Let me know how a cheddar version of this goes if you try it?

    ReplyDelete