Sunday 10 May 2009

Fruit and Almond Crumble [#86]


In the book, Nigel uses greengages, but these won't be in season for several months (around July/August) so I substituted rhubarb and strawberries, which are a lovely combination. We have been spoiled this year by fantastic outdoor rhubarb (Raspberry Red variety) from the Rectory Farm Pick-your-own, who also do brilliant asparagus, sprouting broccoli etc. Will re-visit this recipe in the greengage/plum season. Good crumbly topping with ground almonds adding richness to the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maggie

    Coincidence! I made a strawberry crumble for the first time ever yesterday, remembering that you had once mentioned it. I'm not sure I would have wasted really good strawberries on it, but the Spanish strawberries we had were OK. It certainly would have been better with rhubarb to add a bit of acidity.

    I added ground almonds to the crumble too -- I often do -- and also a few roughly chopped pistachios.

    PS I have cooked all of a dozen recipes from my book :)

    ReplyDelete