Wednesday 27 May 2009

A Cooling Crab Salad [#89]


This recipe was meant to be for a hot day! Instead, we ate it on a grey and cool late-May evening. Still, it made us think of our warm, sunny holiday in Cornwall and The West Country last week, where I enjoyed Brown Crab on Toast at Mark Hix's Oyster & Fish House in Lyme Regis. This recipe depends utterly on the freshness of its ingredients - so I ordered a tub each of Seafood and Eat It white and brown crab from Ocado. It was spankingly fresh. However, unlike Nigel's recipe which calls for 300g of white crab meat for two people, I made do with 100g of white mixed with about 20g of brown, and this was plenty, being such a rich product. The rest will go into crab fishcakes for tomorrow. Surprisingly delicious and delicate dish - nearly missed the ginger out of the dressing, which would have been disastrous, so thanks to hubby for spotting my omission!
Try as I might, I can't track down an online recipe, which is a shame - essentially it is a composed salad of watercress, melon, cucumber, crab, dressed in lime juice, sugar, grated ginger and masses of mint. Go get the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment