Sunday 22 August 2010

Meredith's Zucchini Cake [#251]

This week's cake comes from Rachel Allen's book, 'Bake'. At first, one might think "eeuch" at the idea of a cake with courgette in, but it is no more odd than using carrot or beetroot, and is a well-established favourite in the States and in Australia. It makes for a moist and lightly spiced cake, with chopped walnuts added for texture, and a little cinnamon, clove and nutmeg to warm proceedings up. The recipe makes a lot - I got two cakes out of the mix but one will be safely stashed in the freezer. Can't find an online version of this, so let me know if you want the recipe and I'll email it separately

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm on board with the courgette-concept, but I'd be sorely tempted to stick some cream cheese icing on top - the main reason I make carrot cake! This looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that cream cheese topping, but I might as well just slap it on my hips! One of the nice things about this cake is its slightly aescetic quality - it feels like nourishing food, rather than a sweet treat - slightly worthy, even? But by all means gussy it up with your carrot cake topping and send me a pic!

    ReplyDelete